I’m delighted to announce that I’ve been selected by the Kent Baton to open their Sparks Fuse Festival project, One Day Works.
My short term residence in the Baton – a vintage silver airstream caravan converted to a mobile art centre – is on Wednesday, June 4th from 11am – 6pm. It will be located outside Permark Post Office in Walderslade Village and its activities will be suitable for all ages and all abilities. No previous experience is needed, just turn up and play around with some words.
The overall title, The Word Play Wagon, reflects the diverse creative writing activities planned, including:
- Turn over a new leaf: Add a poem, wish or favourite saying to a luggage label leaf you create and hang it on a Poetree.
- A Novel Experience: Bring your favourite book and write an original short piece based on its premise (see example ‘Triffidus Corpus’ here).
- Hint: Writing micro fiction from as little as 10 words. (Examples)
- Spoofing Medway: Write the local news as it didn’t happen! (Example)
- Mystery Collective Poems: Add a line to the one before – it’ll be the only one you can see! (See examples here.)
- If and Then: A question and answer session with a difference. (Examples – scroll down to ‘Potlatch’)
I’m really looking forward to engaging lots of people in writing activities – who knows, I might find the next generation of Medway poets!
One Day Works will host a series of one day experiments throughout Medway during the Fuse Festival and its build up. From urban high streets to country villages, the project will showcase ten of Medway’s finest creative talents across a range of art forms. Along with the The Word Play Wagon, the works include an epic poem, sculptures made from found objects, archival collections, insect inspired costumes, drawings made from thread, an acoustic live music gig and a magic lantern performance. Click here for the full list of artists and their projects.
The Fuse Festival runs from Friday, June 13th – Sunday, June 15th, find out more at their website here.
It’s arts. It’s yours. It’s free.